Saturday, February 5, 2011

Family First, Enjoy the little time we have with each other


There are few things in life more important than family.  I love this time of year when the Northerners including my extended family start flying south.  My relatives are only here for a week or so at a time, which is perfect because our home become a very quaint bed and breakfast for the month of February and March, but we love seeing everyone.  The other night my nephew who is down staying with his in-laws at their vacation rental was over for dinner.  It was wonderful, my son his wife and two children coupled with my nephew his wife and two children then the in-laws too.  A house full of laughter, stories, memories and lies, since we all know once we get to talking our stories somehow work off a multiplier effect.  “I caught a 10 footer the other day in the Gulf of Mexico” really means; I cough a 30 pounder but saw a guy at the dock with the catch of the day and I am taking credit since nobody knows…LOL.   As a grandpa it brings me great joy to see the smiling faces of my grandkids every chance I get.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t spoil them, but I do embrace them often with love and affection.    The story of my family is similar to the story of my business as well.  I have never been one to sit on a high horse and demand this or demand that of my employees and now subcontractors for the realtors working for Just Right Realty.  Rather, I chose to place myself as an equal to my hard working staff.  As an equal it allows my staff to feel more comfortable asking questions and not worried about being judged.  As an equal it allows me to keep an open mind when a team member makes a suggestion that might not have been otherwise spoken if they didn’t see me as an equal.  We all have our roles, we all need to work hard and thoughtful in those roles, but we need to consider those around us are just as smart as we are and often can solve a problem in a different manner and yet have a successful result.  If you haven’t spent a minute or two lately with your family, then I suggest you take a day off soon and make them the spotlight for the day.  After all the reason we work so hard and tirelessly is for them in the end.   If you want to listen to some fishing stories or have a talk about anything else, feel free to drop me a line.
Jerry Ruzicka 

No comments:

Post a Comment