Friday, March 18, 2011

Property Management in Ft Myers FL


There is not many joys in the real estate career equal to that of telling a prospective tenant; They meet requirements to rent your property and you would be happy to have them as a tenant. The pure joy and often relief of finding the home they need for the next year, or maybe 2 years and sometimes just a few months is one reason I love my job. I am the head of the Property Management division within Just Right Realty Co. and today I had the joy of telling a tenant they made the cut. What a great way to end the week. I have made three families happy. First the homeowner who hired us on March 1, will be happy to know that within 3 weeks we found a tenant who is moving in April 1, so vacancy is null. Second a tenant who is in love with home and neighborhood that the house is located. Last but not least my family is grateful that we are able to have one more client added to our list of properties we manage successfully.

Now, lets talk about “successfully” managing property. This is where property manager earn their keep. This is where the stress and headaches come in that force many people out of the business. This is where paying 10% of the rent each month becomes a huge benefit to the homeowner. Yes, this is the part of the job I try to avoid at all costs. What are the items that create troubles for a property manager? For the most part it all deals with money, the money the tenant is required to pay for rent each month. This is where Life Happens, and rent often becomes the last bill paid. I think there is a different term for Life Happens but we will keep this PG rated. As life throws us the curve balls that it naturally does to each and every house hold we as property managers need to be clever in our ways to communicate the importance of making sure rent is paid on time, every time. However in the event it is not paid on time, as property managers we need to be understanding, compassionate, and very good problem solvers of problems we have no control over. There are some of my tenants that pay me on the 5th of every month. They get their paycheck that day and go and draw a check for rent immediately and like clockwork I can count on it. SO, do I charge them a late fee because the lease says I have the right to if not paid on the 1st? Do I hold it over on them because they are late every month? Absolutely NO to both of the previous questions, remember Life Happens, so we have to roll with the punches. The toughest times as a property manager is the times you have to go to the extreme and evict someone.

Those times you try to do everything humanly possible so you don’t have to go to the extreme but in my tenure with property management and the hundreds of tenants I have worked with on the properties we manage in Lee County, we have had to evict a few. I pride myself on that fact that over the time I have managed property that I can still count on my hands how many I have had to evict. Which for the home owner means less costs and less head aches in the long run. I hope your Friday is starting off great and I hope it carries over to a great weekend and an even better Monday morning that you could ever hope for. If you would like more information on Our Property Management Services in Fort Myers FL, Cape Coral, Estero, and Lehigh Acres, please send me an email. Jerry@jrrc1.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment